Acrylic paint is one of the most versatile paints in the market and can be used on any surface that is oil and wax free. It can also be used for just about any purpose like painting on canvas, on earthenware or for writing on clothes.
Acrylic paint is simply awesome...but it is notorious for drying up very quickly. This can both destroy your brushes and lead to the wasting of your paints.Unlike using Oil paint, for you to use Acrylic paint effectively and to get the best out of it you need some tips to guide you.
I have complied some tips here which have helped me which I am very sure would help you too.
- Always have water in a container for putting your brushes whenever you are not using them.
- Use a water atomizer to keep your paints wet whilst on the palette. I use a spray bottle which you can get from a pound shop. Or you can also use a palette wetting spray (but that is more expensive!)
- Work fast.
- Do not use too much water as this causes the paint to lose its quality and texture
- Use more of Acrylic painting media like Acrylic gloss medium, Slow drying medium or Acrylic matt medium when painting.
- Wash off your brushes with water first then use a mild soap. There are a lot of brush cleaners in Art Shops. They also help to preserve your brushes. I currently use The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver. I find it very easy to use and a little goes a very long way.
- Never use solvents like turpentine or white spirit for washing your brushes.
- Make sure the lids and tops of your Acrylic paints are screwed on tightly. I have lost a good deal of paint from having the lids just slightly open and the paints drying up.
- Make sure your painting surface is free of oil or wax.
- Do not squeeze out too much paint at the same time as they may dry up on your palette.
- When mixing your paint; avoid mixing too vigorously as this may produce bubbles which could lead to cracking.
12. Do not use oil based primers to prime your canvas or painting surface. Use gesso primers.
13. To preserve your paints overnight; cover with water or a waterproof bag. There are also some stay wet palettes you can use.
I hope you found these useful. The fact that Acrylic paint dries quickly should not deter you from using it. It is indeed a beautiful paint and can be used to produce paintings very quickly. If you need results in no time, use Acrylic paint.
Not Keen on Acrylic Paint? Want to try Oil Paints? See How to Use Oil Paints
All the very best and remember your limits can only be set by you.
DID YOU ENJOY THIS POST?
I spend a lot of time writing them so please consider giving it a share, or you can subscribe below to get updates sent to your inbox. It's totally free.
NB: A couple of links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you choose to purchase through the link I would receive a small commission. I only link products I really believe in.